Friday, March 11, 2011

TMZ-ing ESPN

Schefter's NFL Insider reports on ESPN can seem
more like gossip than actual sporting news.
What is news?  What nuggets of information can actually be considered newsworthy and worth spreading to the outside world?  The definition of news has changed, and this shift has even infiltrated the world of sports journalism, as even some prominent sportscasters are getting confused.

Take, for example, ESPN’s hiring of former Denver Post sportswriter Adam Schefter in 2009.  His title: NFL Insider.  What does that really mean?  In short, it means that Schefter’s job is to dig up dirt on athletes, teams and other sports figures and make speculations about developing stories.  To put it another way, he sensationalizes things.

If someone wants to get really good at sensationalizing things, they should simply check out TMZ, a news source that specializes in celebrity gossip.  For example, the fact that Jon Cryer, Charlie Sheen’s former Two and a Half Men co-star, went to a spa with his wife (!) was headline news earlier this week.

Seeing how media consumers thrive off of the late-breaking news blurbs and all-consuming celebrity dirt, Schefter and the world of sports media has begun to mimic its tabloid counterparts.

So while the National Enquirer speculated on its Web site this week whether Sarah Palin was involved in a nude photo scandal, Schefter speculated on sportsgrid.com reasons why former New York Giants running back (and NBC football analyst) Tiki Barber might be making a comeback to the NFL:
First and foremost I think he had nothing in the world of television, that world is dried up…“[Barber] had nothing in television right now, and he is looking at this, and he’s looking at his brother Ronde, who signed a one-year extension last month with Tampa, and saying to himself, ‘I take good care of myself, I train hard.’  …If he signed some sort of veteran contract, he’s going to make more in football than he could in television right now.

It’s great that Schefter has sound reasoning.  He might even be correct in his assumptions of Barber’s intentions.  But in all honesty, Schefter has no idea why Barber wants to come back to the NFL.  Unless Schefter just got off the phone with Barber’s personal confidant, his agent or Tiki himself, we really shouldn’t care what he thinks.

Schefter’s Twitter account is now considered a legitimate news source, yet he rarely reveals the sources of his reports.  Why? Sometimes, he has no sources to report. 

In December 2009, when the Minnesota Vikings were on their way to the NFC Championship Game, cameras spotted Vikings coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre having a ‘heated discussion’ on the sideline.  No big deal, right?

ESPN brought Schefter in after the game so he could tell the world exactly what’s going on between Favre and Childress, as you can see here:



Does Schefter have any sources?  Does the story really have any significance?  At times, he does indeed have valuable reports, but all too often he merely comes across as a know-it-all NFL gossip-monger, and not a sports journalist.  ESPN (and Schefter) should start acting less like TMZ…ASAP. 

4 comments:

  1. I think you bring up greats points of interest in this blog post. As a journalism student I often find it hard to believe what some see as news these days.

    And, even though I am not a sports fan, I found your blog and posts, including this one, to be very interesting and education. Also like how you add the informal tone to writing.

    Thought your post was well written and had good sources and liked that the photo was credited and explained. Lots of good things going on.

    I would suggest maybe more photos, but other than that great job :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked all of your links on your blog. I think they all seem up-to-date and fit in well with your overall blog post. I like how you use many different links throughout your blogging. I think that shows that you do hard work as a blogger which shows you are dedicated to you writing.
    I also agree with Amanda’s comment on how you explained the picture you posted really well. I think looking at your posts you have been doing a very good. If there was one thing I could suggest it would be to make your blog more appealing to people who aren’t entirely interested in sports. I am not a big sports fan so looking at some of your posts kind of confused me and got me uninterested (only because I am not a sports fan).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post very interesting and easy to read. I am a huge sports fan I hate when ESPN reports on events and have no facts to back them up. Or even worse report on an event I could care less about.

    I like that you point out the fact that Twitter is becoming a more and more reliable source of news, but where do these "facts" some people post come from?

    I really like the video you used because it really hammers home the point you are making about the gossip that can be Adam Schefter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this was a great idea for a blog entry. There was lots of information to add, as well as your own opinion. I really liked that you added captions to your pictures and expressed the significance of your videos to your blog. Some things I feel that you could work on is your overall writing. Make sure that your writing is concise and easy for you reader to consume. Make sure that you are writing in complete sentences and that you don't have so many run on sentences. Other than that, great job. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete